Monday, February 11, 2008

Morning Pots


Ah, Monday morning. A fresh start in many ways. I am looking forward to getting out to the workshop. I don't think I'm gonna make pitchers today though. Maybe some bowls, a few bakers, and some plates. I did end up recycling all but one pitcher, they were just too heavy in the bottoms. I'll give it another shot later in the week.
These two pots have been my standards for quite a while now. The mug is by Doug Fitch. I use it daily. The bowl came out of my first earthenware firing. I also kept a plate with a bird drawing. I admit I was reluctant to begin using some of my earthenware pots. They were sort of like the new kids on the block, I had to accept them and see them as the good and meaningful additions to our home .

Sarah and I had a little talk about my red clay work this weekend. I am struggling with taking time to make new work and explore the firings and glaze. It is taking time away from the stoneware. I can't do both at the same time as my space doesn't allow for it. The stoneware is where I make my money, and I do have a couple shows coming up relatively soon. Sarah said she thinks I should pour myself into the earthenware if that's my desire and really just go for it. I can always work intensely in it for a few weeks and then hit the stoneware path again if I want. I admit I have trouble realizing that when I make a choice to do some thing that I can always change my mind or go back. Nothing has to be permanent. Nothing is in fact.

So I am going to stick with it for a while, make some pots, and rebuild my little updraft kiln so that's it loads from the front and convert it to a downdraft. I have all the materials to do this and it will probably take less than 2 days to complete.

Well I am off to work. Happy Monday!