Thursday, January 17, 2008

Food.

A couple weeks ago I was listening to The Splendid Table on NPR and there was a segment on a new book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. The concept of the book sounded really simple, you take 4 basic ingredients mix them in a container let them sit in the fridge for up to two weeks. During that time you take out whatever amount of dough you need to bake and use it to make bread or whatever. No kneading, no punching down, etc. Guess what? It makes great bread. I've baked two loaves and one small pizza. Better than any store bought bread you've ever had. I don't have the book yet , it seems to be a great hit and everyone is sold out. My pal Tom got it and he's had good success with it too.


Here is a loaf shaped like a shell that I baked last night.While we were in Asheville we visited Greenlife and I bought an 4.5 lb organic chicken. I roasted it up last night and it was for sure the best chicken we've ever eaten. I made these clay chicken roasters a few years ago. I sold about 5 and kept one for myself. Of the 5 I sold every one cracked in the oven and I had to give everyone their $35 back. Ha. Of course mine has lasted like a champ! There is an attached cylinder in the center that you fill with beer or whatever and the bird sits on it. I usually fill ours with lemon wedges, garlic and water.
So we had a great supper last night with rosemary roasted chicken, homemade bread, asparagus and fingerling potatoes.