Friday, November 09, 2007

Show and New Technique



I am all set up at the Festival. I'll be there bright and early tomorrow, so I hope that some of you will come out and enjoy all the pots.

Here is a new vase shape I am working on. It's a tall oval, about 14". I am making these on a bisque mold with a slab. This is something I have thought about for a while, making these with a slab, but I didn't know how to go about it. With some help, I've gotten it figured out. One of the things I was worried about with slabs was that I wouldn't have any throwing marks or gesture. I rely on that pretty heavily in my work. So what I have done with these vases is to scrape them and rough up the surface. I learned this from Peter Rose, a potter from Tennessee. Anyhow I am wanting to make 5 or 6 of these for my Holiday sale. I think this new technique will open up lots of possibilities for me.

I'll have some pics up from the show later in the weekend.