Monday, October 02, 2006

Monday


I had a great weekend. I went to Charlotte for a couple days for the Ron Meyers' workshop. Ron is one of my favorite potters. I am a little embarrassed to say that I have been to 5 of his workshop demos. The first was back in 1994 or 95 I think. He captured my attention very soon after I had started making pots. I love the way Ron handles clay. His pots have been touched by his hands over and over in the process and it is left to show in the final pot. I like his immediacy with the material. He is direct and intentional. He has a great sense of play, whimsy, and humor.
Needless to say I came home inspired to work. I feel that over the years I have absorbed some of what Ron does into my work. I don't want to make Ron Meyers' pots but I would like to make pots in the 'spirit' in which he does.
Anyhow I am off to the studio to catch up on things from last week that have been wrapped in plastic for the whole weekend.