Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Kiln and The Artist's Way

I peeped in the kiln with a flashlight tonight and things look pretty good. I'll unload tomorrow and get some pictures up here. I used more soda in this firing it will interesting to see what the total result looks like, I can tell by looking in tonight that I have more buildup on the pots in the front of the kiln.

I have been revisiting the book, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I did this 12 week workbook years ago and it really boosted my creativity at the time. I am thinking about doing it again. I certainly have more infomation now than I did 10 years ago. Today I was looking at the chapter on Recovering a Sense of Power. There are lots of good points in this part. The one that spoke the most to me was on Synchronicity. Yeah, I know it's a really awesome album by The Police, but more than that its about how life can unfold and possibilties can arise just by being open to the notion that I am not in control of anything at all. Cameron writes how "the hand of God, or good, [is] activated by our own hand when we act in behalf of our truest dreams, when we commit to our own soul." She says when we answer the call to our deepest selves and commit to it we set in motion what Jung called synchronicity. I totally believe this is true. Starting is always the hard part, the commitment. But when I have done it I have seen doors open, ideas blossom, and opportunities arise. I believe that when I am living my passion it infuses all around me and really sets things in motion that would otherwise not happen, or maybe I would not notice.

"Let your hook always be cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish" -Ovid

Just writing this blog from time to time is a beginning that could lead to any number of things. Someone may write and say I'm full of crap, or someone may pick up The Artist's Way and start a lifelong path of creativity. I could get even get a call from Sting... doubtful. Either way it feels good to be sitting here thinking about life, the universe, and everything instead of being stuck on the couch in front of the idiot box. I think I'll go make myself a cup of tea.