Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Thoughts (random) on Pots

I feel like I have pretty much made the pots I've wanted and not compomised myself for the sake of selling or trying to follow fads or the market. My customers know what to expect when they come out here. When I had my little electric kiln early on I was using glazes that we had at the the community college. I also came up with a blue and a cream glaze. I saw some of these blue pots at my sister's the other day. They aren't bad, well not too bad, but I am glad not to be making them. I've always had this adversion to blue pots. Leach didn't have nice things to say about blue, and I none of the potters I really liked early on made blue. So I was in the anti-blue pot crowd for a long time. Blue seemed a sell out. 'Cash flow blue' was the name of a glaze. That to me said enough. Sometimes I'd give in on my salt glazed work and add some blue dots. They sold. Even on a bad pot.

I have educated my customers about salt glaze and about functional ware. I hope most of the pots that leave here are being put into use. I feel like that is the case. I would like to think I've challenged my customers in some ways too. In this day, pots aren't really necessary. They are a luxury. I feel they improve our lives and bring beauty in our homes and to our everyday rituals of eating and drinking.

I make some blue pots now. I have a blue slip that goes all wet and juicy on a high silica clay when bombarded with salt and soda. It looks good on certain pots, cups, small jars, low bakers. I tried it on a pitcher once. Once was enough. I love Jane Hamlyn and Walter Keeler's blue salt glazed pots. I use blue now, sparingly, not because it sells, but because I like it, and I think I've matured a little. A whole kiln load would seem daunting to me though, of course a whole kiln load of 'brown and round' pots is probably a nightmare for some out there.

After lunch I'll be unloading such a kiln. There will be some nice flashing, some reds and oranges and creams in this kiln. Some pots will have blue and white and yellow pours. I'll take these pots to a pottery sale this weekend where they will be in the minority. Actually there is no one in our guild making salt glazed pots. I will stand alone among the bright and shiney blues and greens and reds and purples. (Purple...don't get me started.) I will talk to people about my work and how it is quiet and not too demanding. How it works in your kitchen or for morning coffee. I'll show them my long spouted mixers and how fun it is to use them for mixing eggs on Sunday mornings. These are pots (hopefully) that will stick around for a long time in people's homes. They have a timeless feel and are comfortable to use, they challenge the Wal-Mart mentality, and the bland cheesy coffee cup with 'world's best mom' printed on the side. They are this and more. These are my pots.